Thursday, March 29, 2012

python-zibopt 0.7.2 released

python-zibopt 0.7.2 has been released and the big news is that it supports both Python 2 and 3. (Thanks to Guillaume Sagnol for the patch!)

Other changes include:

  • Added magic square and normal magic square examples
  • Fixed issue with single-variable objectives subject to constraints:
    solver += x >= y
    solution = solver.minimize(objective=x)
  • Constant objectives no longer raise errors:
    solver.minimize(objective=3)
  • Fixed obscure constraint issue:
    solver += x <= (y-1) + 100*(1-z)

From here I'm hoping to focus my efforts on the Cython port, which should give a better basis for more advanced functionality in future versions.

1 comment :

  1. This is a plea for cross platform compatibility or to be exact my hopes of using this excellent package on a Windows system.

    As Python is apparently compiled with MSVC it is recommended that one uses it also to build extension packages. Unfortunately MSVC only supports a fairly outdated version of C (<<C99) which results my inability to build python-zibopt. I tried fixing the most obvious 'errors' caused by this, but then I ran into some obscure (for me) linker errors that I could not resolve.

    I have no experience in writing python extensions but it seems to me that one could avoid such issues by writing them in C++.

    I hope you are willing to help a poor Windows user (that is me) getting this package to work on Windows.

    (An other solution might be to provide (pre-/cross-)compiled binaries for MS Windows 32/64 bit)

    ReplyDelete